At Wild Gros Morne we listen to our guests. We know you work hard and you deserve to play hard as well. Step out of the usual and into the unique with our custom Escape and Explore Package. We’ve combined two of our most popular winter tours, our Experience Snowmobling and our Off Grid Backcountry Cabin with a collection of custom adventures into one premium multiday backcountry experience. Immerse yourself in a breathtaking mountain environment with our all inclusive 2 night, 3 day winter experience while discovering the activities that make winter in Western Newfoundland so special.
Enjoy the beauty and excitement of snowmobile touring with our experienced local guides, while discovering remote mountain vistas, valleys and cross-country trails. Enjoy the vast wilderness and pristine environment as you explore some of the finest snowmobiling routes Newfoundland has to offer.
We’ve developed our backcountry snowmobile adventures with all levels of riders in mind. An easy day of trail riding and sightseeing for the beginner to intermediate rider, or an off trail mountain climbing adventure with an experienced local pro for the more extreme rider. Haven’t used a snowmobile before? Don’t worry, our knowledgeable riding instructors will run you through our custom snowmobile training program, familiarizing you with how to properly and safely operate a snowmobile. Even the most inexperienced user can be trained up and out on the trails in no time
After an exciting day return back to your private off grid mountain retreat high in the Long Range Mountains. Our warm and rustic backcountry cabins are located at the terminus of the tree line on a remote glacier carved pond. The only traffic you’ll find here is the odd snowmobiler, skier or herd of caribou heading up towards the barrens. Smack dab in the heart of the Western Newfoundland snow globe, hundreds of kilometers of snowmobiling, backcountry skiing and snowshoeing trails can be found right on the door step, making this a true winter lovers paradise.
Spend your days exploring the Gros Morne backcountry and your evenings escaping the modern world in your private off grid retreat reconnecting with family, friends and loved ones next to the crackling of the wood stove.
We know what's good for the goose is not always good for the gander so we've developed our Escape & Explore experience to be highly customizable. We have a selection of exciting adventures that you can choose to make the experience truly yours, and truly unique. Your all inclusive Escape & Explore package includes 2 nights accommodations in our cozy and private off grid backcountry cabins, a knowledgeable on-site guide for 3 days, hearty and home cooked meals and 3 custom adventures to be selected from the list below.
Have an adventure that you don't see in the list below, just let us know. We are always looking for ideas on how we can improve your experience.
- Snowshoeing (rentals can be arranged if needed)
- Backcountry skiing and snowboarding (rentals can be arranged if needed)
- Ice fishing - We know the spots where you can catch that big one, and if not we'll back you up when you lie about the one that got away
- Food harvesting - We will teach you the time honored Newfoundland tradition of setting a snare to harvest a snowshoe hare and then learn how to create a tasty homemade rabbit stew
- Photography - For those professional or budding photogs our backcountry cabins are located in one of the most scenic areas in Newfoundland. FYI bring extra memory cards!
- Star Gazing - With almost zero light pollution we'll venture out on a night ride to some of our favorite star gazing locations. You'll be amazed at how may stars you didn't even know existed!
- Off Grid Living - You'll spend the day discovering the simple but busy life of a winter off grid homestead. Collecting water, cutting, splitting and stacking wood and daily cabin chores are all part of this experience add on.
- Winter Camping - It may be cold outside but you'll be cozy in your tent with our specialized winter camping equipment. Don't worry, we'll keep the fire going in your cabin in case you want to cut the tenting adventure a little short.
- Winter Bonfire and Rustic Cooking - We'll spend the afternoon out looking for dead dry standing trees suitable for harvesting. We'll load up the wood sleigh and return back to the cabin where you'll learn the secrets behind making a roaring winter bonfire. During our bonfire we'll cook up a sampling of tasty traditional cuisine.
Our off grid backcountry cabins comes fully equipped with everything you need to spend a cozy weekend in the mountains. Of course, we suggest you take appropriate warm and waterproof clothing suitable for cold weather activities as well as any personal hygiene or medical items you will need for your stay. Snowmobiling is a great way to enjoy winter but it can get chilly. Our Escape & Explore experience will take you through many remote areas of Western Newfoundland where there is little to no cell phone reception. Be sure to have any personal and medical items needed. If you are still unfamiliar, unsure or have any questions about what you might need feel free to contact us anytime for a more detailed equipment list.
*Please note the weather conditions in this area can change rapidly and although very unlikely, we may not be able to make it in or out of the cabins or to all planned destinations. Guests should check the weather and plan accordingly.