Top of the Tablelands is a 1 night 2 day backpacking traverse through the remote region found at the top of this geological wonder. This one of a kind experience offers guests the unique ability to explore this truly pristine landscape found far off the trail and away from any guide books. The hiking is challenging, but beautiful as we trek through undisturbed wilderness, along the glacier carved valleys and the breathtaking panoramic views of Winterhouse Brook Canyon along with the remote Trout River Pond valley.
The top of the Tablelands is home to many small herds of majestic woodland caribou and they are often seen while we make our way across and in the mornings sometimes just outside our tents. Rare dwarf arctic alpine plant species, some hundreds of years old, and misshapen from the battering winds are abundant and our knowledgeable guides are masters are picking them out from what looks like a desolate “marscape”.
Wild Gros Morne guides spend their summers on the Tablelands and have a couple go to camping areas depending on the weather conditions, and all with stunning views of the Trout River Pond fjord . Snuggled in your tent with the stars overhead, your back resting on the earths mantle and nothing but the sounds of caribou outside is truly a transformational experience and the highlight of any trip to Gros Morne National park.
After a hearty breakfast we will descend down the valley to Trout River pond where we will be picked up by our Backcountry water shuttle and returned to our Wild Gros Morne kiosk. The return departure by boat adds another touch of excitement and is a great way to end the hike.
*Our return trip takes place in an open Zodiac boat, and depending on weather conditions guests may get lightly sprayed with water as we navigate throughout the fjord and should plan accordingly. This is all part of the fun!
- Top of the Tablelands runs from June till October( dependent on snow conditions)
- All group camping equipment, food and backcountry shuttle transportation are included. Guests are required to supply their own personal camping equipment.
- For guests without proper camping equipment Wild Gros Morne has a selection of rental camping equipment available.
- Reservations are required a week in advance
- For guests arriving by water taxi from Norris Point, and those staying on the south side, a shuttle for guests of our Top of the Tablelands experience can be arranged. The shuttle will pick you up at one of designated pick up points and drop you off after completion of your tour. Please contact us for more information on pick up times and locations.
- For large tour groups Wild Gros Morne offers a specialty Top of the Tablelands package that can include a post trip beachside boil up or an additional night to explore the Overfalls Trail. Please contact us for more information.
Top of the Tablelands has a challenging difficulty level depending on the weather conditions and fitness level of our group. Specialty tours can be arranged for groups looking requesting alternate difficulty levels.
As you’ve already heard, Newfoundland weather can be unpredictable and conditions can vary greatly throughout the day. Even in the hottest months of summer Newfoundland can be quite cool. We suggest guests check the weather and dress for it. Contact Wild Gros Morne for a detailed equipment list.
Weather Cancellation Policy
The weather in Newfoundland can change frequently and at Wild Gros Morne we check the weather more than most people check their Email. Experiences may be adjusted or cancelled if necessary to ensure the safety of our guests and staff.
Off Season Departures
Reservations are required a week in advance for May, June, July, August, September and October. Departures during these months are based upon customer demand. For short notice reservations please contact us.