Discover Gros Mornes best kept Secret with our Explore the Fjord boating and hiking adventure. Utilizing swift watercraft we'll travel deep into the glacier carved Fjord of Trout River Pond. The Surreal experience of being surrounded on both sides by the towering cliffs of the world-renowned Tablelands and equally impressive North Arm Mountains. Visitors encounter first-hand the geological features that shaped this remarkable area and provided the foundation for Gros Morne’s UNESCO designation.
We'll land at a remote location and embark along Gros Morne’s newest backcountry hiking route, the Overfalls Trail. This easy to moderate trail winds its way through old growth forest and provides breath-taking views of the Tablelands, Trout River Pond and the rarely seen 500ft Overfalls waterfall. Caribou, moose, black bear and arctic hare call this section of the park home and are often seen during our hike. This experience is tailored for the adventure seeker and provides access to an area ordinarily inaccessible.
- Explore the Fjord is a custom experience and only runs upon demand. Contact Wild Gros Morne for more information.
- Reservations are required 24 hours in advance
- For guests arriving by water taxi from Norris Point, and those staying on the south side, Wild Gros Morne may be able to arrange a shuttle for guests of our Explore the Fjord experience. The shuttle will pick you up at one of designated pick up points and drop you off after completion of your tour. Please contact us for more information on pick up times and locations.
- For large tour groups Wild Gros Morne offers a specialty Explore The Fjord package that can include a culinary portion, and additional experiences. Please contact us for more information
- Explore the Fjord is great for photographers looking for unique pictures of an area of Gros Morne rarely photographed
Explore the Fjord has a moderate to difficult rating as it combines our popular Tablelands boat tour along with a remote day hiking trail. Although within radio contact, guests and guides will be dropped off by boat in the fjord where water and wind conditions may prohibit leaving on schedule.
As you’ve already heard, Newfoundland weather can be unpredictable and conditions can vary greatly the further we venture into this remarkable glacier carved valley. We suggest having a semi-warm jacket or sweater on hand and comfortable sturdy footwear suitable for our exciting open boat tour adventure and guided hike. Given the length of this 7-8 hour adventure, a day pack with extra water and a snack is highly recommended.
Weather Cancellation Policy
The weather in Newfoundland can change frequently and at Wild Gros Morne we check the weather more than most people check their Email. Experiences may be adjusted or cancelled if necessary to ensure the safety of our guests and staff.
Reservations are required in advance as our departures are based upon customer demand. For short notice reservations please contact us.