Discover one of Gros Morne’s best-kept secrets with a self guided hike along the Trout River Pond Trail, combined with our Tablelands Boat Tour. This 7km easy to moderate trail winds it’s way along Trout River Pond and the south side of the Tablelands, through shaded boreal forests and wind swept serpentine barrens. The trail provides magnificent views of the Tablelands and the glacier carved valley of the pond, including the breathtaking "Narrows" where the two ponds meet.
Walk upon the earths mantle and discover the geological significance of the area and the role it played in Gros Morne receiving its UNESCO designation along with the many unique plants and animals that call this place home. Your tour takes you from water level where guests can relax on the beach before they begin their hike. Examine the multicoloured rocks or dip your feet in the cool refreshing water. There is no rush as you travel at your own pace.
- The Tablelands Boat Tour and self guided hike starts 10am at the Trout River Pond parking lot and runs Monday to Friday from July to October for our 2019 operating season.
- Reservations are highly recommended 24 hours in advance
- For guests arriving by water taxi from Norris Point, and those staying on the north side, Wild Gros Morne operates a shuttle that can pick you up at the Ferry dock in Woody Point and transport you to the tour start point on Trout River Pond. Please note this shuttle departs Trout River Pond at 12:15pm and DOES NOT return to to this area until the next day. Guests looking for a pick up after their hike will need to contact us directly to arrange.
- For guests arriving by their own transportation this experience begins at 10:00 am sharp giving you plenty of time to to make it to the starting point.
- For large tour groups Wild Gros Morne offers a specialty packages that can include a culinary portion, and additional experiences. Please contact us for more information
- The tour is great for those guests looking for combination day package that includes moderate hiking experience during their visit to Gros Morne.
This experience has a easy to moderate rating as it combines The Tablelands Boat Tour with a self guided hike along Trout River Pond Trail.
As you’ve already heard, Newfoundland weather can be unpredictable and conditions can vary greatly the further we venture into this remarkable glacier carved valley. We suggest having a semi-warm jacket or sweater on hand and comfortable sturdy footwear suitable for the guided hike and exciting open boat taxi. Given the length of this 5-6 hour adventure, a day pack with extra water and a snack is highly recommended.
Weather Cancellation Policy
The weather in Newfoundland can change frequently and at Wild Gros Morne we check the weather more than most people check their Email. Experiences may be adjusted or cancelled if necessary to ensure the safety of our guests and staff.
Off Season Departures
Reservations are required 24 hours in advance for May, June, September and October. Departures during these months are based upon customer demand. For short notice reservations please contact us.