Discover the magic of the snowy season with a Gros Morne Snowshoe tour through a winter paradise. With over 20ft of snowfall in some regions and a winter season that can extend from November to June, Newfoundland’s west coast is a true paradise for lovers of winter. Although there are no marked snowshoe routes in Gros Morne National Park, we have our favourite go to areas, so no matter the weather we can find just the right location to get you out on the snow.
We’ve developed our Gros Morne snowshoe tours with all experience levels in mind. An easy day of flatland travel and sightseeing for the beginner to intermediate user, or a mountain climbing adventure for those with a more adventurous spirit. Haven’t used snowshoes before? Don’t worry; our knowledgeable guides will take the time to familiarize you with how to properly and safely use snowshoes. Even the most inexperienced user can be trained up and out on the snow in no time.
Discovering remote mountain vistas, valleys and old logging country trails. Enjoy the uncrowded wilderness and pristine environment as you explore some of the finest snowshoeing in eastern Canada. Our Gros Morne snowshoe tours can range from short local excursions to multi-day adventures involving camping or overnight stays in one of our remote Off Grid Eco Cabins located high in the Long Range Mountains.
Worked up an appetite?
Nothing works up an appetite quite like an exciting day of exploring the wilderness on snowshoes. Add a classic Newfoundland "boil up" (meal) to your Wild Gros Morne snowshoe tour. During your tour we'll take a little break and enjoy a sampling of hearty and traditional Newfoundland cuisine while having a warm up around the fire.
Looking for something different?
Package your Gros Morne Snowshoe tour with one of remote Off Grid Eco Cabins and turn your exciting snowshoe adventure into a unique multi-day winter experience. Our warm rustic off grid cabins are located on a remote mountain pond and provide the perfect base camp for your Gros Morne snowshoe experience. Spend your days exploring the trails and then return to your warm comfy cabin reconnecting with family, friends and loved ones next to the crackling wood stove.
Snowshoe Experience and Rental Details
Standard snowshoe experience rates start at $80 per person. Group rates available for larger groups.
Snowshoe rental rates can vary between $20 and $50 per day depending on age, experience and snowshoe requested.
- Snowshoe tour participants must be 8 years or older.
- Guests between the ages of 8 and 17 may rent snowshoes but must be accompanied by a person who is 18 years of age or older
- Special requests such as a late/early departure, customized stops, food offerings or additional rental equipment (snowmobile, skis, snowboard etc) may be set up ahead of time if requested
- Guests requiring a snowshoe rental must agree to, and sign our waiver of liability and rental contract
- All rental snowshoes undergo a detailed inspection before and after any rental period to ensure the safety and enjoyment of our guests
- All snowshoe rentals will require a prepaid damage deposit of $100 per rental set. Guests will be responsible for any and all damages below or above the prepaid damage deposit amount. All liability, risk and possible damages are the responsibility of the renter
- Damaged snowshoes will undergo a full inspection by a certified staff and a repair quote will be supplied to guests totalling cost of parts, labor, taxes and other fees. Charges for damages will be deducted from the prepaid damage deposit and any remainder of the prepaid damage deposit will be refunded back to your credit card. Repairs resulting in costs above the prepaid damage deposit amount are the responsibility of the renter
- All Snowshoe rentals are for a 24hr period and may be extended as needed.
- Cancellations for snowshoe rentals must be made at least 24-hours in advance of the reservation date
- Prepaid damage deposits can be paid for with all major credit cards
- Wild Gros Morne has the right to refuse any rental
Our Gros Morne Snowshoe Tours have an easy to challenging difficulty level depending on the weather conditions and fitness level of our group. Specialty tours can be arranged for groups requesting alternate difficulty levels.
As you’ve already heard, Newfoundland weather can be unpredictable and conditions can vary greatly throughout the day. Even on sunny winter days Newfoundland can be quite cool. We suggest guests check the weather and dress accordingly. Having a daypack with water and a snack, extra socks, a rain/waterproof jacket and pants, warm sweater and comfortable sturdy footwear suitable for both snowshoeing and cold winter conditions is recommended.
Weather Cancellation Policy
The weather in Newfoundland can change frequently and at Wild Gros Morne we check the weather more than most people check their Email. Experiences may be adjusted or cancelled if necessary to ensure the safety of our guests and staff.
Reservations are highly recommended 24 hours in advance for all departures are based upon customer demand. For short notice reservations please contact us.
*Please note the weather conditions in this area can change rapidly and although very unlikely, we may not be able to make it to all destinations. Guests should check the weather and plan accordingly.